Organized in 1939 when ten foundry firms, striving to improve their melting operations, joined forces to employ the Battelle Memorial Institute in Columbus, Ohio, the Gray Iron Research Institute was formed. GIRI split from Battelle in 1948. In 1982 GIRI was renamed Iron Casting Research Institute (ICRI) to reflect the variety of irons produced at member plants. ICRI presently has seventeen members with twenty-nine foundries located in ten states. Membership is open to iron foundries in the U.S, Canada and Mexico.
ICRI Member Dues!
ICRI offers three classes of membership to new members to suit your needs. The classes are:
Option A 30 Hrs Option B 55 Hrs Option C 105 Hrs
Dues are billed quarterly for each member. Service hours used over purchased amounts, are billed at an adjusted rate.
To provide means by which each member can become more technically proficient in producing low cost, high quality iron castings.
- To select members who can benefit from the results but also have the qualifications to contribute to this mutual effort.
- To operate with the optimum number of members to permit employment of a highly qualified staff, yet limit the number of members so that the unique rapport between staff and members can function.
To maintain a technical staff which, by interaction with member technical and operating personnel, can:
- Transfer known foundry technology into member operations
- Develop new technical knowledge or processes for use by the members.
- Assist members in solving specific foundry problems in a consulting capacity.
- Develop programs which will serve to educate technical and operating personnel employed by the members.
- Function as an extension of each member’s staff when dealing with customer problems.
ICRI News & Calendar of Events
ICRI is looking for a seasoned Metallurgical Engineer who likes to be challenged! Ideal candidate should possess a Bachelors or Masters in Metallurgical or Materials Engineering, have worked in a production iron foundry(s) for at least fifteen years, be willing to relocate to Columbus, Ohio and be proficient with technical writing, typing and Microsoft Office Suite products. There is some travel involved with the position. You can email your resume to or mail to ICRI at 2802 Fisher Road, Columbus, OH 43204.
ICRI CUP & SPOON CAFE
ICRI has opened a virtual chat room called the Cup & Spoon Cafe. It is closed presently but will open on Wednesday, December 8 from 2:00 PM – 2:45 PM EDST. We will meet on the second Wednesday of each month. We discuss or present a different topic each time as recommended by our members. If you don’t have the link, contact us for one and join us for our next cafe.
September 16, 2021 Spectrometer Proficiency Testing Samples sent out to participants.
Most everyone has returned their samples and we are preparing the report.
“Iron seemeth a simple metal but in it’s nature are many mysteries and men who bend to them their
minds shall, in arriving days, gather therefrom great profit, not to themselves alone but to all mankind.”
Joseph Glanvill, 1636-1680